Update from Cincinnati August 30, 2014

I had intended to have a post up earlier this weekend with an update for the week. But, mostly for good reasons, I am just now clicking away at the keyboard late on Sunday evening.

After getting adjusted to being home last week, this week began what will be a more normal schedule.  I am back to being the breakfast cook, a job that I enjoy, and I am able to do more around the house.  Mary Ann and I were talking today that some of the accommodations we made so that I could come home are already unnecessary and others will be going away soon.  We have parked the wheelchair except for long shopping trips and I am using the walker around the house and most of the time when we go out.  It is probably only a week or two before I can start driving.  As promised, I will warn the locals beforehand.

I started Physical and Occupational Therapy this week.  PT is focused on leg strength and OT is focused on arm strength.  As I have mentioned before, it takes a lot longer to get the muscle back than it does to lose it. But, I see steady progress and the more I do, the more I can do.  I hope to be walking with a cane soon and taking the steps without the chair lift.

I started working part time this week and will add a few more hours next week.  I will begin full-time the week of September 8th.  It has been great to get involved with the business again.  We had a fairly quiet summer, legally speaking, and some projects are beginning to heat up, so now is a good time to be coming back.

I also attended my first church Executive Board meeting since May.  It was great to be back. I missed the people more than I thought.

The big news is that we were able to get the house flipped this week.  A group of people from church and some friends and neighbors spent about two hours on Wednesday evening moving and assembling furniture.  I was amazed by how much we accomplished in such a short period of time.  My office is nearly together and should be finished by the end of the day tomorrow.  I’ll include a picture in my next post to let you see how it turned out.

The week ended with me meeting up with a men’s fellowship group that Mike (our son-in-law) and I started last spring.  We only had a few meetings before my trip to the clinic.  It was great to be back at Coffee Please in Madeira at 6:00 AM this past Friday.  We are going to be studying Timothy Keller’s book, The Reason for God.

There is a new prayer request, in addition to the standing request for prayer that my recovery goes quickly and I stay healthy.  Sarah picked up a flu bug or some this week and has been sick off and on since about Tuesday.  Please pray that she will get over it.  We have been to the doctor’s office twice this week with her.  We have our own room there. The last time got we some meds that seem to be helping.

I plan to get back to the Bible series that I started a few weeks ago.  As always, I appreciate the prayers and support we have received from you.  If I can be praying for you or if I can help you in any way, please let me know.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.